Wednesday, September 4, 2013

8th Grade


Today JK started 8th grade.  Which means, next year he'll be off to high school.  Sigh.

I'm not ready to have an 8th grader, but this sweet boy is certainly where he's supposed to be.  This morning I dropped off a completely cool and calm kiddo who walked into his middle school like an old pro. (His only complaint about the start of this school year was that he had to wear his leadership shirt on the first day.  In protest he refused to wear any of his new clothes stating that he had nothing to match the shirt and that it was to hot for jeans.)  Yeah...  He's kind of funny about the shoes, clothes and socks he wears all matching.   

Last year JK was selected as one of a just few 8th graders to be part of the leadership team that is in charge of welcoming in the 6th and 7th graders this year as his school transitions from a Jr high full of 7th and 8th graders last year, to a middle school.  He went from being the underclassmen to the upperclassman in just one year and he had no problem taking on that big guy on campus role today.

With the start of school comes a much busier and more structured schedule, that I just wasn't ready for.  I forgot how little time I have to work dinner into a night with two football practices.  So the kids settled for a big snack after middle school football and then a late dinner after his second football (and Lillie's cheer) practice.  I've made a few small changes to my schedule for tomorrow in hopes of finding something that works a little better for all of us. 

JK honestly makes parenting seem so easy.  He's super laid back, smart, talented, well liked by all of his peers and teachers, and so sweet hearted.  I have never really worried about sending this kiddo off to school because friendships and academics all just seem to come so easy to him.  I'm super proud of the fact that he was chosen for the leadership program and just love everything about this boy.  He honestly makes me so proud.  I know his 8th grade year is going to be a wonderful one!  

No comments:

Post a Comment