Monday, July 22, 2013

tooth fairy drama

Since I'm on a role with this whole blogging/ documenting our life again, I've decided to go back in time a bit and catch up on a few of the important things that really shouldn't have been missed out on in the first place...  
Like Lillie loosing her first and second tooth!

On June 4th Lillie lost her very first tooth in a very undramatic fashion.  She came to me shortly after lunch and said "mom, will you wiggle my tooth?  It's feeling a little strange."  I looked inside that little mouth of her's and was surprised to see her tooth laying sideways completely unconnected to any gums.  I reached in, pulled it out and watched her eyes sparkle with such excitement as she stared at that teeny, tiny little tooth of hers.  We had to take a quick picture and send the exciting news to dad at work so he could be included in this huge milestone, too.  

After Lillie nearly burnt a hole through her tooth by staring at it for so long, we decided to get it prepped for the tooth fairy.  We added a little water to a glass cup and Lillie happily dropped the tooth into to it to set near the window sill for it to be collected during the wee hours of the morning.  (I know it's not the traditional put the tooth under the pillow thing, but it's how we roll here at the Briggs house.)      


As Lillie slept the tooth fairy visited leaving a few dollars in quarters in the cup that sits at the kitchen window just like she'd done many times before for JK and Molly.  I was making pancakes when Lillie woke up and ran to see what had been left for her.  As I handed her the cup where her tooth had been her lower lip started to quiver and crocodile tears started to leak from her eyes.  Although I didn't know what was wrong, my heart broke to see my little girl so sad.  I quickly bent down took her in my arms and asked what was wrong.  "I thought the tooth fairy was going to leave dollars for my tooth, not coins."  She choked out.  I explained to her that I wasn't sure the tooth fairy carried dollar bills and quickly remedied the situation by buying the quarter from her and replacing them with dollar bills.

Two weeks later Lillie lost her second tooth in almost the exact same fashion that her first tooth came out in.  It was still early in the morning this time so she was able to share her excitement with dad before he'd left for work. 


We went through the same process getting her little tooth ready for the tooth fairy, when she stopped us and suggested that we write a note asking that this time the tooth fairy leave dollar bills if she could.  Clint chuckled as Lillie instructed me on what to write.  

The following morning Lillie woke up a little happier to see dollar bills waiting in her cup, but exclaimed she was still a little disappointed when she pulled out one dollar bills instead of 5 dollar bills.  I knew it was time to stand my ground and explained to Lillie that she should be grateful for the fact that the tooth fairy even comes and leaves her a little gift for her teeth.  She agreed (knowing she was pushing it) and happily went on her way to stuff her newly acquired dollars into that piggy bank of hers.

Oh sweet girl!  It's a good thing dads aren't the tooth fairy, because after telling your dad of our second conversation I think he would actually drain our savings account paying out the fee you think your teeth should be valued at.  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment